Monday, December 10, 2007
41 cents worth of happiness
Today I went out to run errands I had to go several different places, no small feat when traveling with two babies. When I got to the post office, I was lucky and a parking spot opened up directly in front of the door. I needed stamps for Christmas cards and the automated machine was in the entry, directly across from the glass door I was parked in front of. I could see that there was no line and I would be able to see my car from the machine. Preston was asleep and Skyla was playing with her gloves. I did something I absolutely never do. I left the kids in the locked car and ran in. Of course, it was all I could think about as I anxiously waited a very long 10 or 12 seconds while the machine dispensed my stamps. As I was turning to leave, I almost bumped into a rough looking older man who had just come in. Oblivious to the fact that I was in a hurry, he said, “Automated, huh?” in a gruff voice, his displeasure clear. Now, looking at the very long line to the service people, and having received my purchase in about 30 seconds, I consider automated stamp dispensing to be a major boon to society, but clearly, he didn’t share my appreciation for the technology. “They sell singles in that thing?” he asked. I was pretty sure they didn’t but just said, “I’m not sure…” as I brushed by him. I glanced in his had was one letter ready to mail minus the stamp. I held 36 stamps in my hand and it occurred to me that I certainly could spare one. “You just need one?” I said and I quickly took one off and handed it to him. His face literally lit up. He looked so grateful and so happy. “Thanks!” I was already half way out the door, anxious to get back to my kids but managed a “Merry Christmas.” I don’t know if it was the look on his face or his obvious dread at operating “that thing” but I got a ridiculous amount of pleasure from giving that man a 41 cent stamp. I guess I need to do more good deeds if I feel that good about such a stupid little thing. I was literally smiling as I pulled out of the parking lot. Not that I am advocating leaving kids in the car (believe me, I have never done it before and may never again)…but I know that I wouldn’t have gotten to have this little moment if I had a car seat in one hand and Skyla’s hand in the other. It’s one of those little things that makes the Christmas season so special.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment